Home
Up
First Tracks

The CarstenGartenBahn

Part 3:  Lost... and found...

She was right.  My wife was right to take away the garden railroad.  For the whole summer of 2008 the space next to the walk to our deck remained a weed farm.  Then, one August day I came home to find the CarstenGartenBahn had turned into the 'Flower Garden Formerly Known as The CarstenGartenBahn'. 

That's a picture of it in the spring of 2009.  It looked much prettier with lots of flowers in it, but I wouldn't want my readers to ever be able to say, "it looked better as a flower garden."  The real reason I didn't get any work done the rest of 2008 was due to the fact that I was stuck on the roadbed.  I wanted something cheap, solid, stable, realistic, and easy to install with minimal tools.  No small task, that.  Internet research had led me to an article by Paul Race about an idea for HDPE flexible roadbed developed by Bill Logan in Ohio.  That article is here.  Anyway, I hemmed and hawed on this.  It was expensive, the materials weren't readily available, and it seemed intimidating.  However, in the early Spring of 2009 I discovered a composite lumber strip at my local Home Depot and decided it was time to retake the garden!

Although I was still very nervous about attempting this seemingly complicated project, I heard from Bill Logan after posting questions to a yahoo group, and my confidence was restored.  I picked up a couple of strips of composite and some other materials, and set to work...    

Next:  Back in the Saddle Again...